Have you ever thought about creating a list of positive ways to increase your connections in your closest relationships? Well, I did this week. I came up with 13 ways to enhance my connectedness in my closest relationships.
I invite you to go down the list and see what will help you stay connected in a positive way in your relationships. Then add your own.
1. When you share what is interesting to you, change your tone of voice to match your true feelings of excitement.
2. Focus on being interested in finding out your closest relationship(s) fantasies and dreams are in the near or far future. For example: vacation plans, going back to school, moving to a new location or yard projects.
3. When you notice your partner or a friend telling you a problem, reflect back to them what you heard them say and ask how you can help. Notice if they become more calm and relax.
4. Rent a movie and call in pizza or Chinese food after a difficult day.
5. Plan something fun together with your partner, family or a friend like a birthday party or a day or weekend outing.
6. Turn off your computer, phone or TV and look at the person who is speaking so you can engage them in a conversation.
7. Take a coffee or beverage break. Think of a way to show your partner or a close friend how much you appreciate them.
8. Call a friend or relative you have been meaning to call and ask them what is new with them.
9. Do something nice for an elderly person in your life such as take them out for coffee or make a fruit basket and spend time asking how they are doing.
10. Go to your favorite bookstore with your partner or friend and find something novel and new to talk about.
11. Call a friend and go for a walk or have lunch.
12. Respond to business and personal e-mails in a timely way to show they are important to you.
13. Start a new activity with your partner or friend like going for a walk a few times a week after dinner or take a dance class.
How much we get back in our closest relationships is often measured by our giving.
Love and intimacy are essential to our sense of well-being. When we feel we are safe and connected to others who love us, then focusing on mood lifers give added joy to our lives.
What are some of your relationship mood lifers? I would love to hear from you. Send a comment.